FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Need help with itinerary traveling through Germany
Old Mar 20, 2014, 6:12 pm
mav

Programs: Hilton, marriott, IHG, Club Carlson, United Airlines,timeshare owner
Smile

Originally Posted by mfeldman1969
Sooo... I took your recommendations - Thank you everyone! Really! I eliminated some places because there is no time to cover everything. I have the following itinerary. Please let me know what you think and if you think I made some mistake or eliminated the wrong place.

July 29th
Amsterdam -> Aachen (drive: 2.5 hours, spend a full day in Aachen)
Aachen -> Rothenburg (drive: 4.5 hours)

July 29- Aug 1
Spend 3 nights in Rothenburg
Würzburg

Aug 1
Rothenburg - > Ulm (drive: 1.5 hours, 5 hours in Ulm)
Ulm -> Munich (drive: 1.5 hours)

Munich (Aug 1 - Aug 11 - 10 nights)

Aug 11
Munich -> Füssen (drive: 1.5 hours, spend: 4 hours in Neuschwanstein Castle, Spend: 4 hours in Füssen)
Spend the night in Füssen

Aug 12
Füssen -> Alatsee (spend: 5 hours in Alatsee)
Alatsee -> Lake Constance (Drive: 1 hour)

Lake Constance (Aug 12 - Aug 14 - 3 nights)
Visit: (Lindau, Reichenau, Mainau, Meersburg, Unteruhldingen)

Aug 14th
Lake Constance -> Hohenzollern Castle (drive: 1.5 hour, spend: 4 hours at castle)
Hohenzollern Castle -> Strasbourg (drive: 2 hours)

Day trips from Munich:
Dachau
Berchtesgaden
Salzburg, Austria
Hallstatt, Austria
Innsbruck, Austria
Kloster Andechs
Nuremberg
Augsburg

Hello Mike ,
I just saw your thread. We go to Bavaria every summer. I can honestly say bavaria has a magical feel to it! IMHO I would cut a few days in Munich and be sure to see Oberammergau and Ettal. We also spend a week in Hohenschwangau { I know this is a bit long for most people}. but I STRONGLY suggest when you go to Fussen, spend the night in at Cafe Hotel Muller IN Hohenschwangau, rather then in Fussen. . You can read the reviews on tripadvisor. At Hotel Muller you will be right at the Castle Neuschwanstein and Hohenschwangau Castle. I always tell the staff at Hotel Muller that this is my paradise on earth. I think your girls would love it and this lovely spot!
Berschtesgaden is a good choice. Much history to see there. I have been to all of the other places on your list over the years. As I say Bavaria is a magical place that draws me every summer. After traveling to all the other spots it is Hohenschwangau, Oberammergau, Ettal, Garmisch/Parkenkirchen, Berchtesgaden, and in Austria it is Zell am See that has me coming back for weeks and I mean WEEKS on end in the summer. Also google RAMSAU, Germany and on your way to Berschtesgaden you may want to stop for an hour. WELL worth a look see. Sorry to put your trip on overload. I hope some of this helps.