FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Which Frequent Flyer Program to Join? Help Is Here!
Old Mar 19, 2014, 10:08 am
justpetehere

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Hi all,

I'm a SF-based flyer and I've kept DL after moving here (I now know SLC well ). As a low-cost economy flyer, the combination of MQD + new earning model has made me reconsider.

Right now I'm debating status matching over to Alaska MVP Gold so that I can fly the cheapest of DL+AA+AS and bank miles to one place, plus get basic services on all three (including my #1, extra leg room). I also think I could maintain Virgin America Silver status which would give me direct flights to all my major routes except MSP (where family lives). What do you think?

(1) What is most important to you in a FFP? (In descending order of priority)
#1 Being able to secure extra legroom for my companion and me (6'5" and 6'2") for free
#2 Good award redemption rates and the ability to either 1) transfer from other programs to stock up (e.g., MR/UR) or 2) get a good CC bonus on categories. Would like to be able to redeem for long haul international flights.
#3 Occasional complimentary upgrades (I'm about 75% on DL, but I often fly JFK-SFO which no longer upgrades anyway)
#4 Priority services are nice, though given that credit cards give early boarding, I have precheck, and rarely check a bag, not a huge deal

(2) How many miles do you usually fly each year & in what class? How many flights/sectors?
- I tend to fly 50k-75k (I was DL Platinum last year, DL Gold this year). These are usually long flights. I'm in SF and often fly to the East Coast (e.g., NYC, WAS) or to the midwest (e.g., MSP, ORD), with a couple international flights per year.

(3) What types of fares do you usually buy ?
- Usually cheapest economy, though occasionally premium economy on int'l tickets, especially if I get a mileage bonus.

(4) Can you choose your airlines and/or class of service? Do you travel for work and/or pleasure?
- Travel 75% for pleasure, 25% for work and can choose any airline/class within reason.

(5) Which routes do you fly most often
- US Domestic. Usually SFO-JFK, SFO-IAD/DCA, SFO-MSP

(6) What is your home airport?
SFO/OAK (occasionally SJC), based on timing and price

(7) Do you have FFP status of any kind in an airline? What is it? Do you have any miles banked in a FFP?
- Delta Gold (~400K miles)
- Just matched AA Platinum to try it out for the year (~50k miles)
- US Airways no status (~50k miles)
- BA no status (~100k miles from CC)
- Virgin America - may match status to try for the year (no miles)
- United no status (1,000 or so miles left)

(8) Preferred Airlines
- Delta, Alaska, Virgin America. Even though I'm based in SF, I really can't stand United.