FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Just Witnessed US Accident at PHL [13 Mar 2014]
Old Mar 17, 2014, 6:12 pm
Always Flyin

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by scottsam66
Everyone seems to be saying the FA did the right thing by not opening the rear exit door. Very we'll may be true. However, it appears to be akin to a blind squirrel getting a nut. By pax accounts this wasn't a tactical decision wrought with logical thought-- it was a panic-stricken FA who froze.
Good for her/him that it worked out, but let's not pin a medal on the FA just yet.
The rear exits were high off the ground and should not have been used. Reports state they doors were not opened by the flight attendant. That was the right move.

The only thing we don't don't know is if that was a deliberate or accidental act by the flight attendant.

Originally Posted by Survivor1702
If at all possible, can this thread be kept about WHY this plane did what it did and not about criticizing why pax grabbed belongings or the FA actions. As I stated in my original post this was a traumatic situation for all on board. I am still having issues on moving forward. I spent the day after, reading every article posted on the internet looking for answers as to WHY this happened. Amongst the articles and posts were the comments from those who did not witness nor experience this event. These comments beat me up, to honest. May sound weird to some, but they did. People were extremely negative and just flat out cold from their ignorance.

I would hate for anyone who was part of this experience to come on here and read more negativity and add to what ever feelings they are currently experiencing. I believe the purpose of the passengers posts was to get the truth, the experience out as to what occurred that day, not to start pointing fingers and making others feel bad.

This thread originally seemed to be about speculating what happened by experienced and knowledgeable people and if at all possible, can we keep it that way?
No one here actually knows how the incident occurred and anything said is just guesswork based on a partial disclosure of facts.

You are not going to know how the incident occurred until: 1) US Airways makes an announcement (unlikely); or 2) The NTSB issues its report a year or so from now (more likely).