FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - TSA cifiscates a "grenade-shaped" perfume bottle and closes lane at PHX
Old Mar 17, 2014, 6:00 pm
chollie
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by FredAnderssen
I once traveled from Europe to the U.S. with a lead-crystal vase wrapped in a towel and stuffed in my carry on.

That caused lots of problems at the security checkpoints because the x-rays saw the lead-crystal as a very dense object that appeared black on the screen. They thought it was a bomb, but upon closer examination, cooler heads prevailed, and I was allowed to board the plane.

I'm too lazy to read about this particular perfume bottle, but does someone know if it was lead-crystal?
I've been in the same situation, and I wondered the same thing.

However, visual inspection clears lead crystal. The contents were within LGA limits, she had it in the protective plastic baggie. It isn't clear why the bomb squad was called instead of using an ETD swab of the bottle and a strip test of the contents 'out of an abundance of caution'.

Well, it's really as clear as the bottle label: Jimmy Choo isn't cheap stuff. There's no way that went out with the trash that night.