FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Delta will send an RFP for 744/767 replacements 'by the end of the month'
Old Mar 17, 2014, 3:37 pm
WestSideBilly

Programs: AS 75k
Originally Posted by relangford
In the past, Delta has been reluctant to be the first with new designs. And, as to the 747-8i, it is beautiful, large, but fuel-inefficent. It seems only cargo carriers have been interested. It is sad (I love the 747 and it was the very first aircraft I ever rode on), but the 747 had probably seen the end of a long and glorious run (I am aware that some South American cargo companies are still using the ancient DC-3). As Airbus is finding out, any 4-engine aircraft is becoming a dinosaur. I would be delighted to see the -8i flying on many airlines, but it isn't going to happen. The "us-versus-them" of Airbus and Boeing will never be settled, with each side having their own opinion.
Yeah, the 747-8i is unlikely to get many more orders and Boeing will have to hope the freighter can keep getting orders (iffy, given the current air freight market). The 777-9X and to some degree the A350-1000 will eat away what little market there is for 350-400 seat long range planes.

Originally Posted by BER Flyer
Sorry, but some of you guys are really into something. Buying new B763? Really? Do you understand that these birds are outdated right now and would only sell because they are cheap? And that DL would have an huge CASM disadvantage flying them on TATL missions in 10 years? And in 20+ years ( DL's common timeframe for newly bought aircraft ) these would be dino's in the air like a B707/727 would be today.
B747-8 are out as DL don't want a plane that size which is THAT thirsty and they could get dozens of used B747's for nothing right now. If DL wanted the B747 in the fleet in 20 years from now they would habe bought the pre-owned BA/LH/CX birds already.
Exactly my point... they would be cheap, which is what Delta usually chooses when it comes to buying planes.

Not sure that replacing DL's high mileage 744s with BA/LH/CX's high mileage 744s makes any sense, but I don't disagree... the 4 engine planes are a lot more expensive to fly/maintain.