FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - TSA cifiscates a "grenade-shaped" perfume bottle and closes lane at PHX
Old Mar 17, 2014, 2:46 pm
chollie
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by eyecue
Think outside the box, the bottle caused a lot of delay at one checkpoint. If it was put back in the bag, it could have caused it again at a different airport.
The bottle had been through many checkpoints without a problem. The lack of consistent training or experience is what led to the problem at this checkpoint. It should have been a training opportunity for the TSOs involved and she should have been allowed to keep it, IMHO.

I am curious - supposedly the bomb squad was called. I suppose that means that the particular checkpoint didn't have swab/test equipment? Or the test strips used to test infant liquids and formula?

I'm not trying to beat up on you, eyecue, I just think that this was badly handled and defending it just makes the agency look foolish.

BTW - I know it's probably SSI, but surely TSA is on red alert for inflatable plastic fake 'grenades'. After all, deflated, they're probably not obvious on an x-ray, but if someone got one on the plane and inflated it, think what could happen.