FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - A thread for good fares we can use our GPU
Old Mar 17, 2014, 11:48 am
NiceLanding

Programs: AA EXP, UA former 1K (1.9MM and gone), Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by blokay
It's not so much we really don't care. There are many ways to get to Europe or Asia - then onward. I can get to ABZ (for example) via LHR or AMS (or others). If there was a post that said "found a great W fare to FRA" it may work for some. Your point on increasing the spread on W fares is noted - but I don't think they read this site that close. Could be wrong though.
Fair enough. Back when I played the GPU game, I found it necessary to check many routes on every trip because a generally-lower W fare won't guarantee availability on the particular days you'd like to travel, let alone good upgrade space. Start with a W-only search on the whole route (and be sure to include V and at least a few buckets above it) and you may get lucky, but will probably also need to do searches on various subsets of the route (while trying to avoid search bugs and misdirections, especially with multiple-destination searches — helps to specify the 50-flights option). In my own experience, this approach often uncovered better options for my specific trip than trying to conform to any particular "good deal" I might have heard about.