FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Just Witnessed US Accident at PHL [13 Mar 2014]
Old Mar 17, 2014, 8:15 am
lizs

Although we don't know what the FA at the back was doing, it appears in the moments after the crash (incident?) there was not communication with the passengers at the back who were justifiably panicked after an incident like this and were not told to use alternate exits. With smoke visible and a gas smell, after a crash to the ground, and the plane's nose on the ground, the passengers understandably wanted to get out ASAP.

It is easy to say "Given that in fact there seems to have been no need to hurry the evacation (the plane wasn't consumed by flames, or anything) it seems to me from what I have read that the crew was exercising appropriate caution" when hindsight is 20/20. A few pages back passengers were being severely chastised for grabbing bags when every second counts. You can't have it both ways - the back passengers were desperately trying to get off as they were directed to do by the pilot, FA froze (or if she was evaluating the options should have at least communicated to the passengers), which just contributed to the panic I'm sure.

I am glad that everyone got off the plane safely and most, if not all, were wearing their seatbelts as directed. However, the response from US Airways immediately following the crash by providing lounge booze and crackers seems to be severely lacking. Why nobody could bring in some pizza, or food from an airport restaurant seems odd. Also that the paramedics didn't check every single passenger there. I was glad to hear children and women (which seems outdated to Titanic days lol) were given some cars to sit in on the runway in very cold temperatures but it seems US Airways did not go above and beyond in this case.

Also, I'm not sure of standard procedure but money refunded and a $400 voucher? Is that normal compensation?