FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Which Airport in Alaska using award? Or other options?
Old Mar 17, 2014, 7:56 am
Gardyloo
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Originally Posted by sciconf
Kids are starting high school.

We are not adventurous and can not stand mosquitoes either.

Plan is to be there around 4/5 days. If I use Marriott points, 4 nights redemption will give me an extra night.

If Anchorage, will we have plenty to do for 5 nights? Will we need a car in Anchorage?

Is it true, there is a day that the Sun does not set at all during the summer - when is it?
Using points for Marriott is going to be very hard - hotels in Anchorage (there are 6 Marriott properties in town) are going to be in high demand during the summer tourist season. You should start trying to book someplace yesterday.

As stated, you will need a car if you stay anywhere except downtown.

With that short a period of time, I'd do some research on the Kenai Peninsula, principally Seward and the Kenai Fjords, for a couple of days, also a one-day glacier cruise from Whittier. Whittier is around 90 min. from Anchorage and Seward another hour or so longer. A car will be needed for any outings.

Mosquitoes won't be a big problem in Anchorage or Whittier/Seward. Regardless, if you can come in late summer (August, say) you won't have to worry about them.

The only places the sun doesn't set (some places just one night, others many nights) are north of the arctic circle. Anchorage is well below the arctic circle. At midsummer, however, it doesn't really get dark in Anchorage at all, just a very long twilight.

It sounds like you need to do some research, the sooner the better.