FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Booked a connecting flight, standby at the airport for non stop?
Old Mar 14, 2014, 5:04 pm
tann1001

Programs: United GS, HHonors Diamond
Booked a connecting flight, standby at the airport for non stop?

Quick question... I was always under the impression that if I booked say SEA - SFO - LAX, I could get to the airport and standby for a nonstop SEA - LAX. I frequently get agents trying to waitlist me for the flight (which from my understanding means ill only get on if the same fare class opens up), when what I really want is to standby meaning I'll get on the standby list and will get on the flight on a space available basis after everybody has boarded if I clear, regardless of care classes.

I saw this on the united website (bolding is mine):

You may stand by if seats are not available in the purchased fare class. In these cases, the same-day change fee will apply, but will not be charged unless you are assigned a seat on your alternate flight. Changes in routing are not allowed when standing by. Standby may be requested on the day of departure at an airport kiosk or with a United representative at the airport. Once you are added to the flight standby list, you can check your real-time standby status at united.com/flightstatus or on your mobile device at mobile.united.com/info.
Does this mean I cannot standby for the nonstop?

Thanks in advance.