FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Amex travel booking site: bonus points, fees, and limitations [Consolidated]
Old Mar 8, 2014, 8:25 am
dingo

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
?'s on using MR points to pay for travel

Hello. I've gone through several pages and searched...I'm thinking I'm not searching for the right terms.

I've never used MR points to pay for tickets booked on AMEX.com and have a few questions / observations.

It seems like using the points isn't extracting maximum value from the points, but doing so offers up a lot more flexibility than what I can get using points to book award travel. And in many cases for what I'm looking at doing, the value is actually greater than using miles to book award seats.

On top of that, I earn miles for the flight and as top tier on US I earn a 100% bonus (if I end up flying on US metal).

So my interest for now is specific to US.

If I book through amex.com and pay with MR points, do I in fact earn the bonus miles in addition to the PQM's?

Is the resulting booking eligible for upgrade with either additional miles or using my Chairman's Preferred trans Atlantic upgrades?

Are there other considerations that I'm missing?