FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Turkish Airlines security measures US/UK-bound @IST
Old Mar 7, 2014, 6:08 am
You want to go where?

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
Originally Posted by vicarious_MR'er
So how does this look for us-bound passengers in transit? How many layers of checks?

...beginning to wonder if my layover times are sufficient!
My most recent transit around a week ago went as follows:

Inbound flight arrived late - 85 minutes before departure of outbound flight. It was a bus gate - I was in the first bus.

Immediately on arrival in the terminal headed to international departures, went through security.

Immediately proceeded to departure gate - no lounge for me on this trip. The lounge was in the opposite direction from the departure gate.

Arrived at gate - long line to process into the holding pen.

Net result. I waited in the holding pen for about 10 minutes before they started boarding.

Could I have gone to the lounge? Sure, if I was just looking for more exercise. It would have taken about 15 minutes just to get to and from the lounge, so I could have walked to the lounge and back. I could have grabbed something to take with me and headed back to the gate.

I hope this gives you some sense of whether you can make it. I would say if your scheduled connection time is 75 minutes or less, you should hope for no delays and favorable winds. If your connection time is more than 75 minutes, you will make your flight. If it is more than 90 minutes, you can start thinking about going to the lounge.

Edited to add: While I would hardly call myself fit, I am able-bodied and capable of walking smartly, which I did for the entire transit. This was not a stroll. If you are less able or have the challenging of herding children/other family members, I would add some time to this.