FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Staples closing 225 stores, what's their long-term future?
Old Mar 6, 2014, 3:23 pm
PolarPlunge

Originally Posted by ericdabbs
Ugh..don't get me started with Delta. I have like 12K points in Delta Skymiles that are useless since I thought that they would be good for a one way saver award travel ticket...LOL. But nooooooo I have to redeem it for 25K.

You're right I don't know if the 5x bonus will last another 5-10 years either but take a look at the history of how long a lot of these 5x bonus categories have lasted for a particular card.

If you think about some of the CCs like the Amex BC card, technically it has been shut down and replaced with another Amex BCE and BCP and it wasn't until recent that folks can still sign up for the old Amex BC. Citi Forward with the 5x restaurants & amazon....shut down. Hilton Honors Amex...not totall nerfed but 6% drugstores removed as of May 2013 but still good for 5% restaurants/gas. There are probably plenty of other examples.

My point is instead of worrying about Staples shutting down which it won't for awhile (they are not like Lehman Brothers or GM level trouble yet), you should be more worried of when Chase could be nerfing the 5x bonus or nerfing the limit eligible for the 5x bonus on office supply stores. Right now that limit is 50,000.
Agreed, I hope chase keeps the 5x forever, but you're probably right and they will nerf the 5x in some way. As for your delta woes, losing 12k skypesos is nothing compared to what some elite members are feeling after delta went and bent over pretty much 99% of their elites. I've never had status with delta, but I'm often stuck with them and their sky pesos. Good news for you, next year you should be able to get that one way award ticket.