FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Update to Lufthansa (LH) GPU Certificate Request Process
Old Mar 6, 2014, 11:10 am
RobOnLI
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by Eddy421
If I receive a Certificate for a given date / LH flight / route (and a given confirmation number) but do not clear on that date, may I re-use the same cert for the same route / flight but on a later date ? (in order just to avoid the issue of resending / reissuing a new cert..)

I undertand that no one check at the gate that the confirmation number is valid and it looks like the travel date is not always printed..
so re-using an existing cert for the same person / route / flight number should work ?
Correct ?

Thanks for the feedback
According to the rules you must re-deposit the GPU with United and have them print a new one when you have the new booking done.

Having said that, I've read lots of reports online of most LH stations not caring about the data but more about the flight (e.g. JFK-FRA). I would think you would run into a problem in FRA and MUC where they are all staffed by LH personnel who are most likely to follow the rules. Outstations not handled by LH staff directly are most likely to ignore the date and allow you to use the cert if your name and the city pairs match.

Airlines recognize that flight changes happen all the time so if you're booked JFK-FRA on 10March and then change it to 11March you obviously don't have time to get a new cert printed. LH would likely accept it in that situation (I would hope...)

But to be safe, just redeposit it with UA and get them to print a new one.

-RM