FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Turkish Airlines security measures US/UK-bound @IST
Old Mar 5, 2014, 11:40 pm
Kacee
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by flamingpanties
Has anybody flown Turkish Airlines lately from IST bound for the US & UK? I was there two weeks ago, and the security was unbelievable, like nothing I've ever experienced in my life.

First, there was an x-ray screening just to get into the airport, but I expected that. Then there was a screening when checking luggage.

There was an x-ray screening to enter the general gates area.

Then there was another screening to enter the gate itself, and yet another screening after you've entered the gate, then another couple of screenings to board the plane.

I counted 7 security screenings in total, which made everybody late and the plane was delayed for over an hour.

Give yourself at least 2 1/2 hours to get through all of these security checks, all of which are a repetition of each other.

Is the point of all this to keep security screeners employed, or does this abundant security make us very, very safe?
This is not dissimilar to what they do on US bound flights out of BOG (except no x-ray to enter the airport). I suspect they are responding to specific US instructions re heightened security screening.