FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Citi Executive AA MasterCard [October 2013 - September 2014]
Old Mar 5, 2014, 1:37 pm
Brugge

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by ExpatExp
Is Citi advertising nonstop, standard-level AAdvantage award availability specifically for more than one person at a time between JFK and LHR on AA metal? There's lots of availability for one person, for connections or flights on BA, as you said, and even more options if you consider the co-terminals at each end.

At any rate, I'm not sure how likely it is that AA will release 25% of the F cabin for award seats in advance. With the JFK-LHR fleet going to 773 only, every AA aircraft on that route will have only eight seats in F. 25% of the F cabin on a route that's popular with paying F passengers seems like a lot to me.

Even in J, I think it's going to be difficult when you're looking at what I understand is one of the most profitable premium routes in the world, with a very high number of paying premium cabin passengers.

That said, there have been discussions about the possibility that AA may be making less seats available at standard redemption levels than in the past. Without getting more OT, there may be some reason there for what you have been seeing...

Whenever I want to redeem for more than one person at a time, I prepare myself to book 330 days ahead and to be flexible with dates and routings. It usually works. Most recently, I used this approach to get two F seats from New York to Hawaii right after Christmas ^

Back on topic, I'm planning to use the miles from this card to get more awards like the ones I just mentioned, or possibly for an Explorer award. Even if there is a devalutation, I will hopefully have time to redeem the miles before the devaluation hits.
AA is advertising "Ready to make some memories? Think of the possibilities your miles can provide". They show that every time you search for availability while the system is in search mode. It seems the only "possibility" your miles can provide is to go TATL alone, leaving your SO at home.

330 days out has not worked for over a year. I just searched mid 0ctober thru end of booking in mid January, to LHR (usually the ONLY destination possible to book from the US). This is not the time of year that leisure travelers really want to go to Europe. AA is giving out Super Saver 20K economy awards at this time.

Still in this non-prime time season, departing not only from JFK, but also ORD, DFW, MIA, LAX, SFO...all of them have precisely ZERO availability for 2 seats on the same flight in either FC or Bus. Neither non-stop, nor connecting. ZERO...

And MIA and ORD are still flying the old 777s at that time, so 16 FC seats per flight.

Yes, you got lucky and got seats to Hawaii. But that is not real FC, that is domestic, slightly reclining seat "first class". Most of the trip reports I've read on that say that it is so little better than economy that the writer would save the miles and just go econ next time. You got the award seats because no one else wants to pay for them.

And of course, "right after Christmas" is not prime time for flights to Hawaii. Most people want to go in the summer during school vacations, and when most people get their work vacation time. Anyone wanting to go around Christmas wants to be there for Christmas, not after it.

I looked at the thread you linked to, and it confirmed what I have experienced. AA has done a stealth devaluation, virtually eliminating 2 Saver awards TATL, even on the old 777s. Leaving a couple who want to "make some memories" together three choices. Book one Saver flight way in advance, and pay cash for the other one. Or book one Saver, and one Anytime, if they have that many miles. Or go a day apart, fly alone, and meet up when they get there.

I mentioned the last one to my wife, and she said if we have to go alone, she's not going at all. Nor am I interested in spending several weeks in Europe on my own.

One more option I almost forgot; use AA miles to go on BA, and pay $1k each in fees. None of us signed up with AA hoping to pay $1k in BA fees.

Hence all of the people willing to pay $250 net, and spend $10K, most of them doing that for 2 or even 3 cards. That's what you have to do now to get enough miles to fly even Bus TATL together.