FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Please list your AP Taxes and SURCHARGES on AP reward tickets
Old Mar 5, 2014, 11:15 am
rankourabu
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by SensFan
Is it a mystery? I thought it was pretty clear that AC charges fuel surcharges on carriers where its own frequent flyers have to pay fuel surcharges?.
soooo.. how do you explain AC not charging on TK - but TK charging them to their own members.... or when AC charged them on LO while LO wasnt charging them to their own members (I think they do now?)

Simple - its irrelevant. AC just makes up its own rules since the money all goes to them anyway

Originally Posted by nabeelj
My understanding of why Aeroplan charges additional taxes on award flights that UA MP does not is that the YQ causes the ticket to be treated as a revenue ticket for purposes of calculating tax.

We had seen this when AAdvantage started charging a small YQ on IB awards, which resulted in additional taxes being charges on those redemptions (which in some cases were more than the added YQ itself) - meaning the "small" YQ had an oversized effect on the total $ due.
ok.. there is quite a bit wrong with your understanding
1) Aeroplan does not charge YQ - Air Canada does -they issue the ticket
2) charging YQ does not result in additional taxes - since YQ is not a tax.

And apologies, I am by no means anti-cattle - I am quite fond of a delicious steak