FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Noob: insurance & rent vs buy
View Single Post
Old Feb 27, 2014, 4:03 pm
Kat007

Noob: insurance & rent vs buy

My car didn`t start today, and it is the time to consider other options (I`ve procrastinated for a long time, and today was the day I had to let it go).

While buying a new one is somewhat an option, I haven`t been driven a lot lately-maybe twice a week. I do need a transportation since I live in FL.

Investing into a nice vehicle to sit on a driveway is a bad idea; buy just an average one is not exciting and not cheap either. I am considering renting by a day, cancel my insurance, and get rid off the broken vehicle. I pay $60/month for insurance (PIP & Bodily Injury Liability), $100 to AAA, maintenance, etc.

The more I think about getting rid off those expenses, the more I am getting convinced to rent. Plus, I can earn miles and points! Since I`ve never rented a vehicle, what am I missing here? I mean what should I be aware of? Does my plan sounds like a plan?

If I cancel insurance, will I be ok with just a credit card coverage (I got tons of cards, but haven`t checked which one offers what)? Or, would I have to pay for insurance no matter what?

Also, which partner offers the most miles/points?

Thanks a lot!