FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Help me decide between Westjet and Air Canada status for 2014 (short hauls)
Old Feb 25, 2014, 10:15 am
CanuckFlyHigh

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
Help me decide between Westjet and Air Canada status for 2014 (short hauls)

I have done alot of research on this topic, but am coming to you for advice since the Air Canada website is quite confusing.

I fly very regularly between YYC and YEG (20-30 return flights a year), with an additional 10 return flights to other locations, mainly YQU and YVR. All of my flights are short haul (maybe 1 or 2 in a year are to YYZ or EWR)

I currently use Westjet, and get the following perks for spending more than $6K per year (which I easily hit):

Buy one Get one free flight Anywhere in Canada. My percieved value: $400
Buy one Get one free flight anywhere WJ flies: my value $800
Westjet Dollars: Approx $300
A bunch of Plaza Premier Lounge passes

Looking into it, it appears that on segments I would be a 50K Elite flyer with Air Canada. I would buy a flight pass, which would save me a bunch of $ compared to WJ.

What would you suggest? What benefits/value would I get from Air Canada? Obviously upgrades are nice, but 95% of my flights are on one class planes. I like the BOGO's that WJ offers because it makes some vacations with my girlfriend that much cheaper.

Thanks

Last edited by CanuckFlyHigh; Feb 25, 2014 at 11:31 am