FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - W Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]
View Single Post
Old Feb 24, 2014, 3:06 am
gypsyinabigtown

Programs: QF LTS, TK Elite, HH Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
I stayed in this hotel about 15 nights this year, across 3-4 stays.

Some observations below:

SPG Plat benefits:
* Not much recognition of SPG Plat benefits. No room upgrade, but I was always put on higher floors e.g. 31st floor. (Comparison: LM Bangkok always give me the larger corner rooms)

* At check-in when I told them I might check out by 4pm I was told the standard policy is 12pm but they can give a 4pm checkout subject to availability. Excuse me?? Anyway, I insisted and after some hesitation the check-in agent agreed to put my checkout time as 4PM. (Comparison: LM Bangkok always puts down the standard checkout as 4PM even without me asking. Once they let me checkout at 6PM as a special case)
* No welcome gift etc. in the room beyond the bog-standard letter. You get a 50% discount on 90 min. spa treatments, but if you're getting a hotel massage for 60$ in Bangkok when they're 10$ everywhere else.

General:
* Staff was friendly and helpful overall. The front desk is a bit overwhelmed, typically max. 2 people there, most of the time only 1 person. I was never able to find a free agent upn walking in, usually need a wait of about 1-2 mins.
* Concierge very helpful even on random things like helping me find train tickets to Ayutthaya.

Breakfast:
* The eggs on order is a bit inconvenient for me as I just need some simple boiled eggs and they take 6-7 minutes to arrive, not great for a rushed morning brekky. Wish they had some in ready supply always.
* The juice selection is horrendous. They have a green concoction in mini bottles which is labelled "vegetable juice". It is sweeter than pure honey mixed with water. The rest of the juices are similarly sickening sweet. When I asked staff about this, they were glad (almost proud!?) to confirm that they add extra sugar to every single one of their juices. Why would anyone want to shove spoonfuls of sugar down their guests throats?? Why not just give them the 100% juice, and if they still need sugar injections, they can add so themselves. Minor issue, but shows how the hip-modern look of the hotel becomes a bit of facade only.
* No coconuts at breakfast. maybe it's a mixed blessing because I can almost see them adding sugar into raw coconut as well!
* Nice selection of Indian/Chinese specialties at breakfast.

Rooms:
* A little too party-ish. Huge space wasted with multiple minibars with lots of liquors and other random snacks, and even a cocktail shaker (!) but there is not much space to lay open a large suitcase.
* Shower pretty good.
* TV pretty new and good. Receives HDMI connection (sadly some rooms in LM lack this)
* Room service menu laughable, food options only 5 or 10, less than half of what LM or even aLoft offers. Drink options are plenty however - really bizarre.

Facilities:
* The gym is definitely one of the better ones I've seen. Cable station, lots of free weights etc. Perplexingly for a large gym, there is only 1 stretching mat. It was frequently busy.

Other:
* No Make-A-Green-Choice participation. Huge downer.

Overall I don't think I'll prefer this hotel given the lack of much SPG recognition and lack of MAGC, and the breakfast and food options doesn't wow me. Too bad that an otherwise nice and updated property is let down by poor management decisions.