FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - reflection: SWU/SSWU vs e-upgrades
View Single Post
Old Feb 23, 2014, 8:42 pm
aircanada_loyal

Programs: AC-SE, EK-G, GF-G
reflection: SWU/SSWU vs e-upgrades

It has been almost three years since Air Canada transitioned from paper-based Special System Wide Upgrade (SSWU) and System Wide Upgrade (SWU) certificates, and introduced the electronic upgrades. I thought it would be a good opportunity to reflect on what has worked well, what has not, and our reflections on the year ahead (and beyond).

For me, I could never use the SWU (I never purchased Y or M fares either out of my pocket, or for business). Therefore, I always had a lot of SWUs that were shredded at this time of the year. The very few SSWUs I received were very precious to me, and I saved them for long hauls, such as a trip to Asia or Australia.

Finally came e-upgrades which have treated me well for the last three years. I have upgraded myself and family members. However, I am not looking forward to the year ahead with only 2 nominees, and the high co-pay for non-SE. Therefore, I will have to be very careful how I use my e-upgrades in the next 12 months. I am the only SE in my family member (some are E50 and E75), and if we travel overseas I will have to upgrade them too. Paying $500/$750 + e-upgarde points is insane.

I hope Air Canada will revert this co-pay + eupgrade decision, and I hope that by this time next year all SE and E will not have to pay this co-pay.