FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Which Asian Star partner reward back from BKK or SGN?
Old Feb 22, 2014, 12:01 pm
FullTimeFlyer

Programs: UA LTP, AA LTG, DL Plat, Marriott LTT, HH Diamond
Which Asian Star partner reward back from BKK or SGN?

I’m looking to get home to SoCal w/ Mrs FTF from either of these cities on a business reward, coming available in a couple days, and seeing a lot of availability to pick from.

I’m not considering Air China. I’m seeing a lot of ANA, EVA, plus Thai or ANA connections to United in NRT.

I’m kind of interested in the Thai A380 connection to UA 787 to LAX to double-up on great new airplanes; some BKK connections in NRT aren’t that long so I am wondering, does Thai check you in through to your United flight?

ANA also does BKK to NRT and then home on UA or ANA. I think I’ve heard ANA has some overwater slant-flat beds over the Pacific, is that still true? If I choose instead to do ANA to NRT then say UA 787 to LAX, will ANA check me through to UA in when I check in in BKK?

(As you can tell, I’m not a veteran NRT connector - just once - and I’m worried about being in limbo if I show up very late on business reward tickets without being checked in.)

I’m definitely considering EVA from BKK and hey are my main option from SGN, esp since they are showing 80K business while UA is all extra-pay override price. The complaint I’ve heard about EVA is that you can’t get advance seat assignments, at least on UA-ticketed rewards, and that if you do the staff in TPE give them away anyway. Does anyone know? Since I’m traveling with my wife I place a lot of priority on getting 2 seats together in the middle, not on opposite ends of a 50-seat biz cabin.

Lastly, the Asiana options from SE Asia aren’t strong but there are some. But (1) it looks like they are flying 747s with angle-flat seats to LAX, and (2) most of my ways to get there are interline connections, esp from Thai, and that brings back the question of whether I can get checked in once. Ideas?

What do you think, FTers? What would you take and why? Grateful for your suggestions to improve our big trip! ^

FTF

Last edited by FullTimeFlyer; Feb 22, 2014 at 12:08 pm Reason: clarity