FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Last Push! 700TP to BA Gold with AA and Openskies in C!
Old Feb 21, 2014, 1:16 pm
Kevincm

Programs: Mucci, BMI*G, M&M SEN, FB Gold, PC Plat, Father of GhettoIFE
A note from your trip writer. I'm not going to hit you with a double-whamy like I did over on GhettoIFE.com. Instead, I've chosen to control myself - yes it is entirely possible

One of the things I've been meaning to do on my trips to San Francisco is to physically cross the Golden Gate Bridge. Why? Because it's there.

So, bright and early Saturday morning (well not THAT early - Pokemon XY was premièring on Cartoon Network), I packed a light bag, and headed off.

Looking at the public transport maps, it would be convoluted to get there. So, I did the cable car up to Van Ness Avenue, a bus up towards Lombard Street. Of course, I was out of range of internet connectivity and therefore decided to walk and try to find a bus stop on Lombard. Which I did eventually... after a 20 minute walk.

No matter. Eventually a 28 for Daly City came around, which if my maps were right would take me near enough to the Golden Gate visitors centre. And lo and behold, it did.

Closing in

Here we are!

Well, with the bridge nearby, I steeled myself and begun walking. Now whilst most people make it to the first pier and then turn around, I was hell bent on crossing the entire thing. Because it seemed like a good idea at the time..

Must stop having good ideas. Seriously.

So, I put one step infont of the other and begun walking.

Darn straight. The only way is forward - there is no turning back!

First span!

Passing the first span, the amount of people thinned out considerably. Whilst the road traffic was ever rumbling, the people traffic went down a lot.

Even Marine traffic was in full flow.

2nd Span!

Eventually, I made it to Vista Point and took a break.. and the views in

I bet they weren't happy about the next day...

Now, I was planning to get a bus back, but it was only tourist buses back across, requiring $20 or so... and to be blunt, I wasn't going to pay that just for 1 and 3/4 miles.

I decided to do the only thing I could do - and cross over back over by foot. Trust me, it felt more than 1 3/4 miles on the way back. A lot more...

Love lockets

Getting busier - back to the crowds

Crossed!

.... and done.

Trust me, I caught the 28 back towards the city, and swapped to the 30 for the journey back into the city. Put it like this... I wasn't in the mood to walk...

Last edited by Kevincm; Feb 21, 2014 at 1:22 pm