FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Annual Category Change Announcement 2014 [effective March 4, 2014]
Old Feb 20, 2014, 9:05 pm
jibi

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by cjones06
The St. Regis Atlanta was one of the better values as a category 5. I have enjoyed multiple stays using their low dates at 12,000 points per night. At 12,000 points per night it was a great option for the Atlanta area. At 20,000 - 25,000 points per night I'm no longer sure if that's the case for that particular market. I suppose I'll start staying at one of the W's either downtown or midtown but I do appreciate the announcement. Perhaps I'll scheduled a few stays prior to the change.
I agree about the change. However, it is often considered one of the two best hotels in the city (along with the Ritz). With all of the Cat4 hotels in the city and with the recent bump of the W Downtown to Cat5, I'm surprised it took this long. It does not carry the value at Cat6, but it would be tough to justify leaving it on the same level as the aging and pretentious W Downtown. My corporate rate, which is what I use when staying at the St. Regis when I'm in the area (date nights with the wife, etc.), only slightly increased for this calendar year (from $205 to $210).

Overall, the changes are quite great. I looked at my reservations for later this year and none were on there. That's good (although I was kind of selfishly hoping one of them would have dropped a category ... LOL!). I am also surprised that St. Regis Punta Mita stayed where it was... that's good for my anniversary trip in 2015.