FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Dynamic Currency Conversion (DCC) [2014-2016]
Old Feb 20, 2014, 6:20 am
zyxlsy

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Qantas Platinum, United S
Originally Posted by percysmith
Most of my cards are HKD so I have to rely on visitors to tell me/show me what happens in a HK DCC transaction, but do you get a button selection in HK?!

The HK norm is for the terminal to not be shown to the customer - any buttons (if available) are pressed by merchant. We haven't moved onto chip-and-PIN so most card terminals are not mobile.
For example, at Disney, a display with two buttons is placed outside the booth (at least I remember that's like this), and I was shown both amounts and I chose the currency. Being the first time I used my US-based cards abroad, I chose USD... I do remember there are other places that I can hit the button, but I need some time to bring the memories out...

At some merchants where they use mobile POS, when I request HKD payments, I get another slip stating the final amount in HKD, after I circle and sign the first slip.

Anyway, I didn't encounter any bad POS that has its currency selection chosen by default, at about 10+ hotels, 100+ stores (upscale and street drug stores), and 20+ restaurants (the ones accepting cards).

That's why I like HK's way~ And, I hate chip and pin...