FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - How many are REALLY leaving UA? [2014 edition]
Old Feb 19, 2014, 8:41 am
tom911
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by Chevelter
I admit this is possible, since I virtually never fly any other airline it would be hard for me to know if what I'm getting with UA is inferior to what others offer.
Look at some of the benefits competitors offer at your level that UA does not offer. Yesterday I flew AA BOS-DFW-SMF. As with most of my mainline flights with them, wi-fi readily available on both segments. I left the gate at BOS #1 on the upgrade list and enjoyed my comped pastrami sandwich and Sam Adams in coach, only my second domestic flight in coach this year (out of 22). If I hadn't upgraded non-elite friends with my two expiring systemwides I would have easily been up front just on status.

I also did an AA Madrid trip last month and cleared systemwides on the lowest economy fare at booking. How much more would I have had to pay UA to upgrade with a systemwide? How much extra would I be out if I didn't clear? Not a consideration at AA as you don't pay extra for a higher fare.

UA isn't offering 1K/UGS flyers comped food/beverage in coach, systemwides on rock bottom fares, or wifi on just about the entire mainline fleet (last number I saw was 25%). If UA offered these benefits, would you use them?