FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Some Misc. Questions About Houston
View Single Post
Old Feb 18, 2014, 3:57 pm
robyng
In memoriam

Some Misc. Questions About Houston

I bought my husband a trip to Houston as a Christmas present. Might seem odd - but Houston is now host to perhaps the best Magritte exhibit we'll ever see in our lifetimes - at the Menil from now until June 1. Magritte happens to be my husband's favorite artist - so he loved this present .

Anyway - we haven't been to Houston in ages - and I have some misc. questions. We won't be renting a car. Not only are car rentals relatively expensive these days - we don't like to drive after we've been drinking at dinner. And - we don't like navigating through "car centric cities" like Dallas or Los Angeles or similar - even with a GPS. We'd rather spend a few more dollars - and have others do the driving for us.

What's the best way to get to/from IAH to the Hilton Americas downtown (where we'll be staying) for a couple of older people? The hotel lists 3 options - limos - cabs and something called the "Super Shuttle". Comparing the 3 - cabs seem like the best option cost/benefit wise - but perhaps I'm missing something?

Also - although the hotel has some type of "local shuttle" - what's a good cab company to use if the hotel shuttle isn't great? I assume there are a lot of cab drivers in Houston for whom Spanish is a first language. And that's not a problem (my husband and I both speak Spanish). OTOH - if the Houston cab drivers are like those in Miami and won't turn on their A/C - that's a problem.

And - if there are any good public transportation options - I'd like to know about those too.

Finally - is there anything in the general "downtown area" that we should see that we won't likely run across reading the "10 Best Things" in Houston stuff on the internet? Robyn