FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Which reward card is best for me? (I spend over $6k per month.)
Old Feb 17, 2014, 3:09 pm
WheelsFirst

Programs: AA Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, DL Gold
If I'm correct in understanding, your priorities are no FTF, and flexibility to book the cheapest coach flights to and from Europe. Given that criteria I think the best bets are the Chase Sapphire Preferred ("CSP"), Chase Ink Bold, and/or the Barclaycard Arrival.

The CSP has no FTF, gives 1 Ultimate Reward (UR) point on every dollar spent, and 2 points on travel and dining. You also get a 7% annual bonus on all your points earned that year. Each point is worth 1% as cash back, or if you book flights through the UR portal a $500 flight is 40,000 points.

The Ink Bold has no FTF, gives 1 UR point on every dollar spent, 2 points on gas and hotels paid directly at hotels, and 5 points on office supply stores, cable and internet and phone bills. I'm not sure if your ISP charges would count for the 5x category. If they did, that would be huge, if not, still a good card. The Bold is a business card but that sounds like it's just as good if not better for your situation.

The Arrival gives 2 points per dollar spent, period. The points are redeemed by buying a flight, paying with your card, and then applying the points towards statement credits. You get a 10% rebate when doing this, so effectively 2.2% back on everything. Also no FTF

These are all good options, if you get the CSP and Ink as a combo you'll get a ton of sign-up points. The other caveats are you can combine CSP and Ink URs into one big pool of points, and the URs can also be transferred 1:1 to any of the other programs where Chase is the card issuer (Southwest, Marriott, Hyatt, etc etc).

A lot of people will throw out suggestions which give points for things like hotel stays and miles for airline programs, but these are generally better if you want to book free hotel stays and first or business class award tickets, for cheap coach tickets getting around 2% back on everything is the ticket.