FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Which reward card is best for me? (I spend over $6k per month.)
Old Feb 17, 2014, 1:49 pm
hstraf

Question Which reward card is best for me? (I spend over $6k per month.)

Hello,

I am totally confused by all the different reward cards and programs available. I read the sticky threads here, and I'm still confused. (My wife says I'm a little slow... )

My brother said I should consider getting a "rewards" card to try and get either cash back or free plane tickets since I spend so much on my card.

I normally spend over $6k per month on my current credit card (USAA basic card with no benefits) through my business. I put all my business's expenses through my personal card, and then pay it off each month. The charges are for things like website server hosting ($4k/month) and supplies and materials from various stores, etc.

My credit is excellent. I have a $25k limit on my current card, and also have two other cards with a $10k limit each. I pay everything off in full each month, and I have no outstanding debt or mortgage.

We live in France at the moment (although we are American citizens) and so we fly back to the every summer. Total yearly airfare for my family is usually around $7k, so any savings would be fantastic.

We normally fly using whatever airline is the cheapest, using orbitz, kayak or travelocity to find and book the flights. So sometimes it is AirTransat, Lufthansa or Air Canada, or whatever is cheapest. (So a reward card that is tied to one airline would not be beneficial.)

One thing to also point out is that I spend about $1k/month on items here in France, so I need to also consider the foreign exchange/transaction fees of the card. (I think the CapitalOne cards have %0 foreign transaction fees?) So about $5k/month is spent on USD purchases and the rest is overseas/foreign spending.)

What do you suggest is the best credit card reward program for me? Should I go for a cash-back card or an airmiles card? Which one?

Thanks!