FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Does anyone here also post on Milepoint?
View Single Post
Old Feb 17, 2014, 1:19 pm
freeloader

Programs: SPG Plt, HHonors Gold, UA Gold, PC Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by kokonutz
Yes, the FTUs including the upcoming one in Seattle are run by the FtEF. You can read the thread about that organization in this forum, but generally speaking it is put on and run by the same guys who co-own milepoint, except they run it through a non-profit organization. Gary Leff, author or the blog view from the wing and co-owner of milepoint is organizing the Seattle event and you can look at the thread in this forum about that specific event for more details.

The Chicago Seminars are put on by a group of volunteers from flyer talk and as such operate on a less formal (but still highly organized) basis. Since they are a Ft community barn-raising affair the threads about them reside in the community forum.

I have not attended either because from looking at the offerings they seem rather remedial for anyone who has spent a few days reading flyer talk. They also appear to be quite similar in terms of speakers, programs, etc.

My personal advice is, before shelling out a hundy or whatever, swing by the ft community forum and check out a local ft happy hour or dinner. You'll find not just a ton of info at these informal gatherings but you get a chance to network with points and miles geeks. I even met my wife at a ft gathering!

A great way for even introverts to get a feel for the people behind the handles and soak up some points and miles nerd knowledge.
I believe it was determined last year that the thread for this years Chicago Seminars will reside in this forum, since it's a pay-to-play event

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/20607021-post200.html

Regardless, personally the stuff they talk about at these seminars is usually pretty high level and not terribly helpful. Did a couple FTUs and the scene got tiring after the second - big name bloggers walking around acting like rock stars, presenters leaning on inside jokes, cliques. Some people were really cool though - Seth and the guy from Rapid Travel chi in particular

I think both are pretty similar... It will be the same cast of presenters doing the same presentations and same credit card shills. Keep your expectations in check (you won't here many big secrets that aren't already on FT) and you'll enjoy it. If you wanted to do one, I'd recommend the one closest (and cheapest) to you.

On an aside, I've instead had a much better time (and learned much MUCH more) and the Do's posted on the community buzz page. And all of them are free. YMMV