FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Where to stay, Glendale/Scottsdale/Phoenix for Superbowl 2015
Old Feb 17, 2014, 1:04 pm
mileshound

Well, I made reservations. Things were tighter for this superbowl than in the past but kind of similair to Indianapolis. It makes sense when you look at the number of hotel rooms in the market.

This was the award availability:
Hyatt and Starwood had 0 award rooms.
Marriott had a room at the airport for Tues and Wed night, then rooms in Chandler
IHG had rooms in Goodyear and Peoria.

All award nights were refundable until 1 day before. This is similiar to NYC but NOLA and Indy had no cancellation policies.

I was planning on coming in on Wed night. But then I saw the HIX in PHX at the ballpark had availability for Tues and Wed nights. I agree with ryanmvc that downtown most likely will be near a lot of the action. This would get me downtown for Wed and Thurs.

So I ended up with:
Tues and Wed PM: HIX Phoenix ballpark (25K per night)
Thurs - Mon: RI Glendale (20k per night), backup HI Goodyear (15K per night)

I will keep monitoring rooms to see what frees up.

When the Glendale RI opened up I took it. As I read more about the Glendale entertainment distict I think it is OK - especially for only 4 nights.

They have the brewery, BWW, some entertainment establishments, the movie theatre, the outlets next door and some restaurants in Peoria a few miles away. There will certainly be a festive crowd in the area.

I think 3 nights there will be the max to have some fun without getting too board of the place. The 4th night will be SB Sunday so if I go to the game I can walk there if not I am sure I will have a blast at one of the restaurants/bars. The locals say there is nothing there and that is probably right from their viewpoint. As a tourist on vacation looking to have a good time it has some good aspects especially if you can walk to the places from your hotel. New Orleans it is not but it also is not a deserted island.

Last edited by mileshound; Feb 25, 2014 at 6:36 pm Reason: Updated reservation info