FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Five Continents in 3 Days and Some Other Mad Trips in 2012
Old Feb 14, 2014, 9:41 pm
Kiwi Flyer
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Sydney to Adelaide (SYD-ADL) on Qantas A330-200 in business class

After a couple of hours or so in the lounge boarding was called, some 45 minutes before departure. By the time I got to the gate boarding was almost complete.

Business class was half full, and seemed to be almost exclusively through passengers to Singapore. This surprised me as there are plenty of quicker non-stop flights to Singapore and so I expected this first leg to be mainly Sydney to Adelaide passengers with some award passengers. Obviously in peak times when flights are full there would be more Sydney to Singapore passengers.

Anyway, as a domestic leg of an international flight there were some service differences, in addition to the major benefit of a skybed for the short flight instead of a recliner. No amenity kit or printed menu (these would be handed out to continuing passengers after reboarding in Adelaide). Pre-departure drink was limited to juice or water, but drinks orders were taken and given just after the chimes at the end of the initial climb. Longhaul IFE was available.

The meal was similar (perhaps identical?) to the current offering for a regular short domestic flight in business. A choice between a beef salad and a hot option (possibly chicken?), drinks, bread rolls, drinks, ice cream, drinks, tea and coffee to finish.

The flight was long enough to watch/listen a short movie while also reading some papers. We arrived early.

New smartgate machines which provide simple immigration (and most importantly no stamp in the passport) for Australians and New Zealanders (and later Americans) with machine readable passports and not aged under 18 were installed but not operational. Dang. Sometimes immigration at regional airports in Australia can be funny - I've had secondary many times at Perth and Cairns. However despite the low numbers of international flights, Adelaide immigration was painless. It was very speedy given most passengers were through passengers to Singapore (and thus bypass immigration) and almost all of the rest were Sydney originating passengers with "D" stickers indicating domestic only. For those, mostly they're on the lookout for people with sneaky duty free purchases.

With carryon bags only and no customs inspection for me, I was landside within 2 minutes of the aircraft doors being opened.