FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Five Continents in 3 Days and Some Other Mad Trips in 2012
Old Feb 14, 2014, 8:52 pm
Kiwi Flyer
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Wellington to Sydney (WLG-SYD) on Qantas 737-800 in business

Many of the hundreds of flights I've flown from New Zealand to Australia depart at OMG o'clock but that doesn't make it any easier. For this flight there is no point checking in too early as immigration only opens at 0430. Given there are several departures around the same time, I've found it is best to either arrive at the airport early or late - in between the queues at check in, security and immigration are long.

Since I'm flying in business class (or alternatively because I have oneworld status) I avoid the long economy queue and have a shorter wait in the premium line. Qantas check in at WLG is at the far end of the check in area, which means you often have to struggle through the hordes queuing for Virgin Australia just to get to the Qantas queues, because the layout is not very efficient.

Once it is my turn I soon have 2 boarding passes and head for immigration. I got there just after immigration opened, as I had some work to do. Given a choice I'd rather do it in the lounge than at home where I might lose track of time or get caught up in traffic en route to the airport and needlessly risk missing the flights.

Since my previous international departure they'd moved the immigration and security desks so that security is before immigration. This makes sense - no point in clearing immigration only to find you have to return to check in a bag. However, as with all airports in this part of the world, there is still the compulsory walk through duty free hoping you don't knock anything over before you can reach the lounge or departure gates.

The Qantas lounge was just opening as I arrived. I was warmly welcomed back and I found a comfy corner to work in. There was breakfast food and beverages, which I skipped other than a tasty smoothie.

The time passed quickly and boarding was called. There is a side door in this lounge which goes straight to the passage leading to the jetbridge - no need to join the throngs waiting in the gate!

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Feb 14, 2014 at 9:05 pm