FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Southern Ocean Lodge, Kangaroo Island, South Australia; reopens 12/23
Old Feb 12, 2014, 12:38 am
Baghoarder

Programs: QF CL
Originally Posted by glsebs
Thanks for the detailed review of Southern Ocean Lodge.

We are in the midst of planning a three week trip to Australia for next November. We have friends who recently stayed at SOL and they said it was amazing. We definitely plan to stay there for three nights. The other lodges/resorts we are looking at are Saffire Freycinet, Emirates Wolgan Valley and and Qualia Resort.

Besides, SOL which of these others would you choose to visit taking into consideration travel ease, quality and time of year. I think we will have time to do two other resort/lodge properties. From the research I have done, they all sound fantastic.

We are active seniors who like a combination of relaxation and moderate activity....no horseback riding or mountain biking....we do enjoy snorkeling and the beach and loved our safaris to Kenya and South Africa.

Any advice or other suggestions from the Australia experts would be appreciated!
Saffire Freycinet is a two to three hour drive from Hobart airport and IMHO worth the journey. The weather should be mild in November (late Spring). Its setting is gorgeous and the food and wine particularly good. They will arrange activities to suit a variety of interests and activity levels (oyster shucking is a regular feature, guided walks in the national park, easy mountain biking along the beach). Swimming is possible but I'd save that for Qualia. Sounds as if you have a terrific trip planned!