FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Changes to *A Awards Without Incurring Additional Miles after 3-Feb-2014
Old Feb 11, 2014, 6:57 pm
FlyerChrisK

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton GLD, Marriott Plat, NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by xxmwxx
Just changed this booking (including a date change):
JFK-FRA (LH I)
FRA-BKK (TG O)
BKK-HKG (TG I)
To
YUL-MUC (LH O)
MUC-FRA (LH I)
FRA-BKK (TG O)
BKK-HKG (TG I)

No problems at all. Agent didn't mention anything about additional miles and change was done in under 10 minutes, already ticketed & confirmed.
I wish this were this easy. I have LAX-PEK(F)-TPE(J) / TPE-NRT(J)-CDG (F, stop)-MUC(J)-YUL(J). Just so everyone is clear, this is a roundtrip award in F to Asia with a stopover in Europe. This is not a round the world ticket nor a multicity F-F-J ticket.

This ticket was originally CDG-FRA(J)-JFK(J), but when I saw MUC-YUL/YVR F availability open up, I called last night and the first agent changed it for me...

...when I got the confirmation email, I saw that she had booked me in J for MUC-YUL. I've since made 7 phone calls to United, some today, some yesterday, and had:
  • 4 agents lecture me about how the award chart changed effective 2/3, and how I'll need to cough up additional miles.
  • 1 agent look at this award, tell me that I'll have to cough up some miles, and then start lecturing me about how this a round the world trip, so I'll have to cough up even more miles than that.
  • 1 agent telling me that my destination is truly Paris (no, it's not, I'm spending several days in TPE and I can't route via Asia to get to Europe on United), so this is two awards, a first class award to Paris and then a business class return from Paris (don't mind that I paid for a roundtrip in F to Asia).
  • 1 agent telling me there is no F availability on MUC-YUL for my day of travel. ANA's search disagrees.

Any magic words I should be saying (that also won't get me a dreaded note if it back fires) to make this work? Given the other successes in this thread, I'm fascinated by how difficult this is

Do I need to kill my stopover in Paris, move up to F, and then rebuild my stopover? This is insane.

Last edited by FlyerChrisK; Feb 11, 2014 at 7:11 pm