FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 13 February 2014 East Coast Winter Storm Travel Waivers & Impact to UA's Ops.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 3:45 am
USAJerry

Programs: D SM, AA A, SPG, HH, MR
Weather delays/cancellations?

This is kinda new to me as I've never been in a situation where a storm can affect a major trip of mine. So here goes the whole, "I'm sorry if I'm in the wrong thread" disclaimer. Actually, I'm not.

But anyways, I'm IAD to AMS early Thursday evening. I booked through an overseas travel agent (remember the Wideroe mistake fares in November?) (Waits for the OMG! He mentioned mistake fares and this should be quadruple stickied on another board and has no business here!!! reply)

So once (if) the travel alert comes down, do I call United directly to rebook? Or do I have to call the agent? Plus...what are my chances that I incur fees (whether the same fare bucket or not is available (booked in K FYI)) even on a rebook due to a weather event?

I looked into rebooking yesterday but United wanted to charge $950 + $300 for leaving on Wednesday versus Thursday (pre-potential weather alert) so obviously I didn't pull the trigger.

I'd love to get out of town and get somewhere clear of the weather tomorrow around midday. Any tips would be great. I guess I should just stay glued to the alerts page on United and then ring them if/when one is issued? Or do I contact the agent?