FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Pilots Often Head to Wrong Airports, Reports Show
Old Feb 10, 2014, 6:44 am
TravelingPeanut
Used to be 'FTcadence'

Pilots Often Head to Wrong Airports, Reports Show

On at least 150 flights, including one involving a Southwest Airlines jet last month in Missouri and a jumbo cargo plane last fall in Kansas, U.S. commercial air carriers have either landed at the wrong airport or started to land and realized their mistake in time, according to a search by The Associated Press of government safety databases and media reports since the early 1990s.
Landing at the right San Jose, CA airport seems to be particularly difficult for pilots.

Nearly all of the accidents occurred at night and because pilots were flying the planes relying not on automation but on what they could see. Pilots can be attracted to the runway lights of the first airport that they see upon descent and may disregard navigation equipment which shows that they are slightly off from where they need to be.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/101402486

IMHO, 150 flights in about a decade doesn't sound terrible, but at the same time if in the evenings I followed the freeway lights that I felt myself being drawn to, I might end up in Mexico instead of my apartment in LA.