FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Platinum Status in Eight Days and $800 - No Stays Required
Old Feb 10, 2014, 5:05 am
TrojanHorse
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Originally Posted by SacTownGuy
The $800 to plat never made sense. It's the $100 or $200 to plat that made sense. As stated if you actually need 8 conference rooms (or all 75 elite nights) you aren't staying at Marriott so why bother with being plat!?
If you have the MR credit card, thats 15 EQN's
so you could do this for $600 to get plat if you can find the $100 C/Rs

lets assume that you can find $100 C/Rs

you probably could knock this down to $500 if you only stay 10 nights a year and I'm also going to assume one stays at a FS Marriott or equiv. as there isn't any tangible benefit to me at any other brand

in addition you get the UA benefit so if you are a UA part time flyer (I'm not) that has as others have shown a tangible benefit so your out of pocket cost is quite minimal

then factor in the credit to lifetime and I'd go out on a limb and say anything at $500 or less is probably worth it (again assuming you fly UA which I do not)

at what point is it worth it for a FS marriott person but less than 50.. that is the question (also factor in if you have the CC)

My personal amount would be, if I could get to 40 revenue nights and have the CC, I'd definitely do it at $200 I'd have to think about it at 30 nights + CC at $300 though - again, I don't get a UA benefit since I do not fly them