FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - USA EMV cards: Availability, Q&A (Chip & PIN -or- Chip & Signature) [2012-2015]
Old Feb 9, 2014, 10:00 am
kebosabi

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by PhillyInvestor
Only commuter rail has distance-based pricing at the moment, though the entire system is migrating to it. There is a terminal by each door on standard buses.
I'm anxious to see it implemented in buses. If it happens, I think SLC will become the 1st one in the US to use distance based pricing for buses which could change the game on how fares are collected for buses.

It shouldn't be that difficult to do, Japan has been running distance based fares on buses ever since I could remember and that was way before the contactless cards were the norm. And tapping on and tapping off works fine on buses from Amsterdam to Singapore too.

I've talked about this idea to several people here in LA and it was usually split down two camps: those who balk at the idea that it can't be done and those who say that it shouldn't be that difficult to do. The former tends to be those who are always skeptical and afraid about change and are usually clueless about technology. The latter tends to be those in fields of science, rational thinkers, and incidentally, the well traveled.

Reminds me of this EMV thing all over again.