FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - USA EMV cards: Availability, Q&A (Chip & PIN -or- Chip & Signature) [2012-2015]
Old Feb 8, 2014, 4:30 pm
kebosabi

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by blue2000
Again, I'm only talking about the inner core of the city--I definitely agree with distance-based pricing for the commuter rail
[ot]

Mmm...I don't think I could agree entirely on that. Many subway systems end up expanding out farther and farther out where it starts to become blurred between commuter rail. For example, the Red Line you have in your city, it's $2.00 to go from end-to-end from Braintree to Alewife which is about 20 miles apart, whereas it's also the same $2.00 to go from South Station to Park St. which is only two stations away from each other. And you guys recently had a fare increase (and with absolutely zero guarantee that it'll be the end of it).

I'm surprised no one in Boston said why a person going only 2 stations should be forced to pay the same fare hike to $2.00 when someone in Braintree going all the way to Alewife gets a better deal because they can cover 20 miles for only $2.00. In a way, it's like people who ride shorter distances subsidize those who have longer trips.

Sooner or later, more fare hikes will bound to happen and there will be a limit to how much people will be willing to pay for a ride regardless of distance. IMO, $3.00 flat rate is the upper limit they can reach because by then, people will not expect to pay the same price whether they travel a mile or 10 miles. [/ot]

Last edited by kebosabi; Feb 8, 2014 at 4:42 pm