FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Americans and Cuba Travel - the Facts, Resources, Related Experiences [only]
Old Feb 7, 2014, 3:51 am
JD3030

Programs: nada
Americans and Cuba Travel - the Facts, Resources, Related Experiences [only]

I just returned from a wonderful 7 day trip to Cuba. Again, I'm an American expat living in Canada. I traveled through the "back door" and arrived with a plane full of friendly Canadians (even though about half of the plane was from Quebec... only kidding, they're also quite friendly).

Upon entry and exit at the airport in Cuba my passport was not stamped. I was only asked if I live in Canada by a Cuban border control officer, not sure if this was his own personal interest or something they're encouraged to ask. But all together everything went smoothly. Also no hiccups crossing back into Canada. Between my wife and I we declared over $800 of goods, mostly Cigars (about 80). Now I just need to get a humidor to keep these babies fresh.

A new question: I have a business trip to the US next week followed by a long weekend with some friends before retuning back to Canada. I have Global Entry which I plan to use upon entry into the US. Is there any chance I might get tagged at the GE kiosk for my trip to Cuba? I'd like to bring a handful of Cubans back to share with my buddies but that might be too much to risk at this point.

In addition, I recently applied for Nexus and was conditionally approved for an interview (applied before going to Cuba). Planning to schedule this interview on my return flight to Canada in 2 weeks.