FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Homeland Security bans carry-on liquids on flights from US to Russia
Old Feb 7, 2014, 2:02 am
Dovster
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by realjd

In the ATL E concourse there's a walled off gate with a security screening checkpoint (metal detectors and xrays IIRC). It's used for flights to Israel from what I understand. If that's a standard restriction on Israel-bound flights, I'm sure they can use the same gates for Russia-bound flights.
There are no flights from ATL to Israel. Sadly, these were ended several years ago and today Delta only flies JFK-TLV.

On the JFK-TLV flights there are no x-rays (of people) at the gate but there are metal detectors and bag checks. Interestingly, on TLV-JFK flights there are only perfunctory checks of hand luggage (basically, you are asked if you have any liquids). I suspect that Delta knows that TLV has real security and is not worried about who and what is getting on its flights.

It is my understanding that the restrictions on flights to Russia are the same from every country and required by the Russians -- but will be lifted after the Winter Olympics.