FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - JetBlue Almost Never Bumps Passengers—and That's Bad for Business
Old Feb 6, 2014, 8:39 am
wetrat0

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
Originally Posted by Brigri
I think B6 should promote this better, honestly as a flier the fact that I am guaranteed a seat goes a long way in my book. I think this alone makes people feel a little better than the possibility of being bumped. I would think with the technology that rev mgmt has at their disposal they are pricing each seat accordingly.
The problem is the likelihood of missing your flight due to being involuntarily bumped (which is what we're talking about here, since most bumps are voluntary, meaning the person taking the bump agrees to do it in exchange for a voucher) is infinitesimally smaller than the likelihood of a weather delay, mechanical cancellation, mis-connect, equipment change, etc.

While I'm sure some smart marketing people could make a nice ad about it, from a practical perspective it's such a small concern that it wouldn't really command a higher airfare. How many people would be willing to pay $1 more to guarantee no involuntary bump? $10? I have seen people take all kinds of crazy routings (and exposing them to more misconnect risk, for example) to save 10 bucks on a ticket.