FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Newbie help--which cards?
View Single Post
Old Feb 5, 2014, 1:42 pm
405#Club

Originally Posted by wpd7
I've dabbled in CC bonuses in the past, using MS to get bonuses, etc. I'm currently setting myself with the goal of flying free in two years or so and was wondering if the generous folks here could help me shape my decision as to which CCs will help me accomplish this goal. I'll list my "requirements" and hopefully with your help, I can make it happen!

Home City: San Diego, CA

Possible target destinations:
Indonesia (Soekarno or Juanda), Japan (Haneda), Malaysia (Kuala Lumpur), Singapore, Hong Kong

Preferred airlines:
Singapore, Cathay

Number of Passengers: 4

Targeted seat class: business

I currently do not have any FF cards with any airlines above or any CCs that give miles or have points that have favorable conversion to miles. If anyone has any other suggestions that fall under the same quality experience as Singapore or Cathay as an alternative airline and will make my goal of 4 business class tickets easier, that would be great as well.

As you can tell, I need help deciphering which airline has the best mileage redemption for my goals and which CCs will help me funnel points to fund those goals.

If it makes a difference, the 4 passengers currently (as of today) is comprised of a 4 month old, a 3 year old, and 2 adults. Looking to book travel for 2015.

Thanks for your help.
NOTE: You'll get double points if you and your spouse each apply for the cards below.

Bank of America Alaska card, 25k miles

Alaska is a partner to American and Delta, and you can re-apply for this card every six months. YMMV.

Citi AA Platinum, 50k miles

100k offer is out there, but the minimum spend is high.

Chase Sapphire Preferred, 40k points

Chase UR points can be transferred to British Airways (American partner) or United

Amex SPG, 25k points

SPG points can be transferred to American.

Chase United, 50k miles

Star Alliance partner

Chase British Airways, 50k miles

American partner

If you want to go the biz cards route, Chase Ink is a great one too. Happy applying!