FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - iPod/iPhone Interface With UA's IFE
View Single Post
Old Feb 4, 2014, 12:56 pm
kenn0223

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K MM, Subway Club Member
Originally Posted by edcho
It still works but it might not work well w/ newer products (with lightning connector). There's no Panasonic Export cable with lightening yet (atleast not that i'm aware of) and using an adapter will probably cause issues (or not work at all).

The newer generation IFEs now have composite input for this reason (i.e. AA's IFE on their B773).
Originally Posted by PTahCha
It still works, but you will need a Lightening adaptor with video output (the cheap ones only have audio), along with the cable that they sell from the duty free cart. Don't forget that Platinum, 1K, and GS members get 10% off from duty free.
I have been unable to get my iPhone 5s to work when using the Apple brand lightning adaptor and the special cable. The system recognizes that its connected (green checkmark) but I never get video or photos to come up (the audio usually works). I've gotten videos to play on other devices using the adaptor (hotel gym treadmills). On longer flights I've been bringing an old iPod touch with me with the old style connector. As a side note, the system has never worked with iPads.

I wrote UA in late 2012 when my iPhone 5 didn't work and they said they were no longer making improvements to that part of the system since, they said, no one used it. I've, frankly, never seen anyone else use it before so they might be right.

I wish they would either install composite/HDMI (doubtful) or figure out some way to allow use of the USB connector. After several international fights the movie selection gets old and I'd rather just bring my own. I've resorted to watching directly off my iPhone or iPad but it would be nice to take advantage of the bigger built-in screen.

Last edited by kenn0223; Feb 4, 2014 at 1:02 pm