FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Dynamic Currency Conversion (DCC) [2014-2016]
Old Feb 4, 2014, 6:01 am
JEFFJAGUAR

Originally Posted by reclusive46
More than rare. I live in the UK and I haven't been anywhere that hasn't taken card in the last 3 years or so. Although the UK is the second or third most cashless country in the world according to MasterCard. France is very similar from experience, even very small (2 or 3 tables) restaurants in the middle of nowhere still usually take card. I agree about the odd convenience store that won't take card for under £5 transactions but they normally cave in if they think your going to walk out :P The self service machine in my local Sainsburys (Supermarket for those of you who don't know) don't actually take cash anymore, so even if your just buying something thats 30 or 40p you still have to pay by card (Usually contactless).
I must confess that even myself, who fancies himself as the credit card king (I guess there are others here too who use cards for every last thing whether at home or on holiday) and the only time in the last 6 months or so I've spent cash for anything (I live in the NYC area of the USA) is for 2 haircuts and this includes a trip to Europe last June including a cruise, a trip to the left coast of the USA in December but I have my own self imposed limit i.e. I will not use a credit card for amounts less than $1 US, £1 or €1. The thought of going into Sainsbury, buying a 49p bottle of water and using a credit card, I must admit, does intrigue me! Now I know because in the past, I would have to buy 2 bottles of water and add on an aero bar to meet my self imposed minimum!