FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Dynamic Currency Conversion (DCC) [2014-2016]
Old Feb 4, 2014, 2:26 am
LoneTree

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by JEFFJAGUAR
Originally Posted by LoneTree
Just got to Berlin. My lodging here didn't even give me an option and the terminal automatically selected DCC for me. I told the receptionist beforehand to charge in Euro but she wasn't helpful. I crossed out the DCC agreement and USD section and will charge back later.

I'm really hating DCC after three weeks here now. It's automatic almost everywhere.
Per chance, when you checked in, did you sign something which may have included (in German) your agreement to this hideous scam? That is one of the new ways some merchants are trying to get around the visa/mc prohibition that one can only be scammed with dcc if they agree to it. Much like the garbage Avis has been pulling.
Nope. Just handed over my passport and credit card. I told the clerk to charge in Euro and she said "we'll see if it asks." At no point did she press any buttons after the swipe.

Edit: I'll add that they're pretty hostile to CCs in general at this place. They tacked on a CC surcharge and tried to get me to pay cash several times.

Last edited by LoneTree; Feb 4, 2014 at 3:02 am