FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Rookie trying to figure it out. Best way to earn flights/travel to Europe?
Old Feb 3, 2014, 10:03 pm
lailai88

Originally Posted by StartinSanDiego
If you want to go to Europe, great, either Star or One World alliances will get you there. AA has a great program and a HUGE plus of 20K o/w during off peak, which is essentially every date except the summertime. Then (eventually) they give you a 10% points rebate, so it's really 18K o/w.
Thanks for your info! I know you can't tell the future, but do you think that AA will continue to have such good miles rates during off-peak times and also the 10% rebate? Like has it always been this way and will continue this way for a while?

Originally Posted by StartinSanDiego
I suggest that you concentrate on a complementary set of credit cards... like UA and Ink or AA and BA and Membership rewards. The reason for this is that both of these will boost your point balances to an amount of points that are redeemable. If you have, say, 53K points in one program and 19K in another... you are still pretty far away from 2 r/t tickets to Europe. Both the UA and AA program allow for o/w redeemptions, though, so that opens up some options. Don't apply for so many cards that you miss your spend thresholds or go bonkers trying to keep track. Do join Award Wallet to help you with your new hobby.
Just signed up for Award Wallet. Thanks for the heads up!

I totally get what you're saying about UA and Ink OR AA and BA. That was my question in my initial post. And dukerau had brought up the point that I could diversify and sign up for AA/BA because, as you said, both UA and AA allow one way redemption. Because... as I see it, with the points I'm earning right now through UA and Ink, just from the sign up bonuses (IF I can get all the cards I apply for), it will only get 2 one-way tickets. So then, if I can take advantage of the sign-on bonuses for some AA cards, then I hopefully I can get us home, hahah. I guess what I'm saying that I'm very reliant on the sign-up bonuses for this to work, and there's probably only so many UA and Chase Ultimate Rewards cards I'll be allowed to get.