FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Deceptive pricing on connecting itineraries {workaround to married segment pricing}
Old Feb 3, 2014, 8:00 am
sbm12
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by mgcsinc
This is a pretty well-known effect where the faring system does not apply married segments logic when you do a multi-city search. I always search both ways for that reason. I would NOT like to see this fixed, as it creates an accidental windfall for the customer.
Where's the windfall for a customer? UA is actively charging more than it should in most cases. How is that in favor of the consumer?? If they say they are offering the cheapest fare and they are not that is hardly creating a windfall. Moreover, the cheaper fare is as a result of it pricing as a "normal" round-trip fare rather than end-on-end of multiple fares. It is backwards from what logic would suggest.

Originally Posted by PTahCha
Actually it does - it's doing it to maximize revenue on connections using married segments, and they have been doing this since the merger. In other cases, they'll split fare on 2 different segments instead of a through fare. Nothing new.
I would agree if the pricing were different for different flights. I get that. Charge me more if I want the more efficient flight by fewer/shorter connections. But if the exact same itinerary can have multiple different prices that's not at all reasonable. This is the airline screwing passengers.