FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - What jobs / careers require or involve travel? (merged 2014+)
Old Jan 30, 2014, 1:14 pm
mmff

Originally Posted by travelmad478
Quants don't travel. They sit and look at computer screens. Fundamental analysts and portfolio managers (such as yours truly) do travel.
My knowledge about Finance is rather limited but I was under the impression that hiring had shifted focus from fundamental analysts to algorithmic traders (quants) in recent years. Can you please elaborate on the prospects for a young graduate regarding a career as a fundamental analyst or/and portfolio manager nowadays? Thanks!

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
I'd say it's much better to have a job that pays well, and that you can take a lot of time off.
Although I think most of us agree on this, it does not imply that one cannot take pleasure in business trips. I know plenty of people who do truly enjoy most of their travelling.

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
I have my own small business, and have prioritized travel and relaxation over the last 15 years. I used to work 350 days per year. I now work about 75 days a year at my business, and an hour a day or so when I'm in other countries.
Just out of curiosity, what industry or sector does your company belong to? I am quite amazed (and envious) that you manage to work only 75 days a year.